Thursday 15 March 2018

VFX LESSON ONE (3D TEXT)


This was our first lesson for VFX for creative toolkit so I was excited as to what we would do. After having a few after effects lessons in first year my skills aren't as good as other peoples but I am taking time to learn and improve so I can be as good as everyone else. Phil started us off with the first lesson introducing 3D layers, cameras and lights. 

Phil asked us to create a standard composition, and type whatever we wanted. Then he asked us to activate a camera in after effects, which I had never done before. But it was really fascinating as you could select weather you had depth of field and focus and everything. After activating a camera we then created the composition to become 3D. With the composition being 3D this meant that we can move around the space on a XYZ axis and give depth to the piece. We then added a light, this was also really cool as you could select what sort of light, weather it was a spotlight or a fill and how bright etc. We then were asked to duplicate the text you had typed earlier and move it round the space so that when you moved the camera, you would find the pieces of text and your light would shine on it too.

We were then encouraged to use the skills we had learned in the morning and apply them to making a 3D object, such as a box. We had to create the box from 2D square layers and then bringing them together. This was a lot harder than it seemed as you had to move constantly around the space in order to get all the sides touching. I managed to eventually create what looked like a box, but it took me so long that I ran out of time! 

I hope you enjoyed. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment