Friday 2 March 2018

DANCE FILM: INSPIRATION (TV)


For my dance piece I wanted to put in some thorough research to ensure that my idea is well backed up and also give myself some inspiration into making my piece more artistic or technically advanced. I will research many mediums of moving image for my piece. But in this post I will focus on television. The pieces I will choose to research will be for technical and creative merit and ideas and I will explain why for each piece.

The first example that comes to mind for inspiration is American Horror Story season 3 called Coven. You may ask why I would research and feel inspired by a horror show, but it is because I am drawn to their technical skills in the series. In many episodes you see flash backs where the camera will spin to the other side of the room and you see no cut in the edit, but the same actors in the present are there in the flashback. I have watched this transitions so many times and still cannot quite work it out. As I would like my dance piece to be a one take, I wanted to take inspiration from the craftsmanship of the camera team in Coven.

Another example I would like to give is Mr Robot, the Amazon Prime series. In season 3 episode 5, it appears to be 40 minutes of one take throughout the whole episode. I have watched this episode a few times now as it was recommend to me by a friend who knew I was interested in one take pieces for my dance film. I did a bit of research into the episode and the camera team say that there were a few cuts, but it was about hiding them in places that appeared to look like just one take. If I cannot do a one take for my dance film, I would research more into how they did this, as I would like to be able to pull it off in the same way they did. I am aware I am not as talented as the camera crew of Mr Robot but I feel I should push myself and see just how far I can go.

I hope you enjoy. Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment