Friday 2 March 2018

DANCE FILM: INSPIRATION (FILM)


Furthering my research I decided to look into films as inspiration for colour, style, character relationships etc. Of course one of the first films and directors I turn to is Wes Anderson. He has been an inspiration to me for many years because of his colour, style, story line and framing. I decided for my dance film to look at his work in a stylistic way. I know in my dance film I want pastel blues, pinks and other colours I think will fit and I knew Wes Anderson was keen on bright colours, but there are many pastels featured too. I find his colour palettes incredible, and in every scene and film of his you could pause it and it would look like a painting, they're magical. Pictured below are some photos I found online of colour inspiration to me.







When thinking about colour I was a little unsure where else I could look in the film realm, so I asked some friends what they thought I should research as they knew the colour palette and style I was after. They suggested I looked at Neo Yokio, an anime. I was hesitant at first to research a colour palette that was animated instead of live action, but after watching the film I was hooked on the colours! The main character Neo, has beautiful pastel purple/pink hair which I was drawn to for my colour palette. I am a big fan of anime and the style and colour of it and watching this made me realise how beautiful they all really are in their own way. Then in the film they introduce a blue haired girl, and again fell in love with her hair colour and knew I would love to feature that shade of blue in my film. Pictured below are some pictures I felt resonated with the colour palette I want.




I watched Her a few years back and fell in love with it, the style and composition of the film was magical. Although, with a controversial story line I felt it was simply beautiful and definitely one of my favourites. I want to look at the film's colour palette and how it could influence my work. Although it has many bright colours in it too, pastels and muted tones feature throughout the film. As it is set in the future and is about AI I the film had to give a futuristic feel to it, but not too into the future that we couldn't grasp the idea, hence why they used muted tones to create a utopian feel. Pictured below are some images from the film I feel describe the muted tones and pastels I am looking for.





In 2016 when Moonlight came out I was upset that I couldn't watch this in the cinema as I feel it is a film best on a big screen. However, I watched it a few months ago and it was incredible. No wonder it won awards! The story line is heartbreaking and moving and I am so glad that there are more and more films with stories of black people's issues as the main plot as we need them. When watching the film, again the colour is something that drew my eye to. The film poster was enough with the gorgeous neon across the face, enticing you to watch it. Blue is a reoccurring colour throughout the film and it is beautiful. Blue often symbolises sadness and isolation and this was worked into the film very well and seamlessly. I will be using blue to symbolise sadness and loneliness in my film and I think this film creates that atmosphere very well throughout. Pictured below are some images from the film with the colour blue as the main colour.





I could go on and on about colour palettes, but I also had to do some research on connection and relationships if my piece is going to be about relationships! I watch Silver Linings Playbook when it came out and found it a very strange film. I liked it but I didn't love it, it made me a little uncomfortable at times which is strange, and I didn't really know why. But after reflecting on it as research and inspiration for my dance film I realised why it made me uncomfortable. It was because the relationship between the two main characters was so real that it made me uncomfortable. Even though it is only fiction it felt so real. In other mainstream films they show only the very good or the very bad, the highs and lows of relationships and never the middle ground. However this film displayed the feeling after and argument, or making up from one, and the good times. It also showed forgiveness and compromise which I found really interesting in a mainstream film. I feel this would be a key part in my dance film, displaying the highs and lows, but also compromise and forgiveness in relationships weather platonic or romantic, and I feel this will enhance my choreography. Pictured below are some scenes I feel display the highs and the lows.




I hope you enjoy. Thank you.







No comments:

Post a Comment