Monday 9 January 2017

EXPERIMENTAL FILM WORKSHOP


So today was the first day back after the Christmas holidays, so that means new projects. Anne delivered a presentation on experimental film, surrealism, dadaism and gave examples including students own work. I thoroughly enjoyed today as it has already given me inspiration. Our topic for our experimental films is Transgression. With it being abstract it allows for a lot of room to be creative, push boundaries and explore.

One film we watched today that was really interesting and also really inspired me was Un Chein Andalou a 1929 film by Dali and Bunel. The whole film was about dreams they had had, out together into moving image. Without knowing the context that the film was about dreams then I would have been very confused and maybe not have enjoyed it as much. But I am thankful I was given context. I enjoyed this a lot because of its freedom and lucidity. I like films that you feel the fun, freedom and experimentation in and I felt it in this one. For the time it was made it was well executed, with lots of interesting and bizarre visuals. But dreams and the unconscious are endlessly fascinating to me so it was nice to see some work done previously that supported this fascination of mine.

Un Chein Andalou

We were asked then to research about Bill Viola's films, why he makes them and the themes he likes to use in his films.

After doing a bit of research I discovered that the key themes he likes to focus on are birth,love, spirituality, death and aspects of the consciousness. Focusing on the fundamental human experiences. After reading an article and interview in the guardian, I came to the conclusion that Viola made films to display raw human experiences, he took home videos of his parents after they died and cut them together to make films. I feel it is almost like therapy to him, creating something and setting it free and learning how to grieve for the loss of his parents by creating art for them. Also in the article Viola talks a lot about spirituality and he explores Christianity and Buddhism in his work, as he is inspired by the different spiritual societies and religions. Although I am unsure of the true meaning as to why he creates the work he does, I am only assuming, I will continue to research into his work.

I hope you enjoy. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Alice. I am pleased you are open and receptive to new ways of making films. Regarding Bill Viola did you watch any films of his online? Tate Modern has a short interview with him about Martyrs which is permanently on display in St Pauls cathedral. I would also like to hear your personal thoughts about his films.

    In the end this kind of installation video art is open to the viewers interpretation, because our differing life experiences influence our emotional and intellectual response to a work. This is just as valid as an article or even Bill Viola's own words.

    See this if you are interested
    http://aparisio.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/bill-viola-installation-at-st-pauls.html

    ReplyDelete