Monday 30 January 2017

EXPERIMENTAL FILM: TIME


2 weeks ago we were set a mini task to create a short experimental film on the subject of manipulating time. I had so many ideas for this project but not enough time, possibly though I could chose to explore this in more depth and that excites me. I played around initially with the idea of a day in my life starting with me going to bed, and then a dream sequence. However I found that a bit too big a project for 2 weeks. I then thought of using materials to create a pleasing if not calming feel to a film whilst still manipulating and controlling time. This lead me onto my final idea of getting my partner to highlight the features on my face using paint, then start being playful and swirling the paint together all over my face to just create colour. I then reversed it in post production and the result was incredibly satisfying seeing the paint peel off of me.

Initially this idea didn't really have any other deeper meaning that just satisfaction visually whilst still manipulating time, when I showed the final product to the class my feedback was interesting. Some people commented that it could be paying tribute to women accentuating their features with makeup, but instead I used paint to be more creative, or another peer said it could be my partner taking off the mask I show to other people and end up the natural me for him, and lastly another peer commented saying it could be a mask that I put on to society to hide parts of my personality, and the colours being things I would like to cover up, then the video is me removing that at the end of the day and being the true me. I am interested in all of these valid observations, and if I do choose to explore this for my final experimental film piece I shall certainly look into these ideas.

Here is the finished piece:




I hope you enjoy. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Alice - I like the way you have listened to your peers and reflected on their interpretations of your work. It shows how valuable it is to show and discuss your work with each other. I have been so pleased with the results of these mini pieces from you and the rest of the class. I am very proud of you all.

    ReplyDelete