Monday 16 January 2017

FIRST TEST SHOOT


After my research I decided to try out some photos and see what I could produce. Tying in nicely with this post I also got a new camera a canon 700D with a standard kit lens, so this makes it more flexible for me to take photos, as my collection is a look into my connection with my partner I need to be able to take photos as and when a situation occurs, so it's good I have a camera now. I went to go and visit my partner this weekend and told him about my project, after my research I had some feedback from Anne asking to challenge me and construct my seemingly 'candid' photos and I tried to rise to the challenge.

Over the course of the weekend I took quite a few photos some I staged and others I did not. I felt the staged photos felt quite robust and you can see through the photo that they had been constructed. Which wasn't the look I was going for. So I tired a new approach, I would just interact with my partner and when I felt like a photo could come out of what we were doing I would ask him to stay where he was and I would reach for my camera. I had a few that came out quite well. Here they are:

Coffee

Quiet

At first I was a little disappointed with not having a lot of photos I was happy with, but I remembered I still have a lot of time, and collections of this subject can take years I just need to be patient with my work. I want to give each photo in the collection a title just to give some context to what was happening as I feel some of my photos may come out a little bit abstract. I am going to do some more research and come back to the project with a fresh mind and try out some more photos. With the photo 'Coffee' I am not all that pleased with it because of the back drop, but i need to remember this isn't a studio shoot and that sometimes background of the home environment can add to the photo. Sadly I am a perfectionist when it comes to my work, but I need to learn to take a step back and come back to my work with a clean mind, or ask a peer to have a look and review some of my work. Sometimes getting someone else to look at my work makes me see things I hadn't seen before. But being a perfectionist can be a beneficial thing as it pushes me to do my best and work hard. 

As for the photo 'Quiet' I adore this photo visually and the story was behind it. It was a rainy Sunday morning and it was nearly time for me to go home, so often we just lie together and hold each other before I go. This week it was peaceful with the rain and feeling his skin always makes me feel more calm and at home. It was nice to enjoy the silence together and listen to the sounds outside. I saw this photo in my head and reached for the camera, I played about with the exposure and shutter speed to create a slightly darker image but I think it's simply gorgeous. I adore the lighting for one, as my partner has a large window in his room. I love the shadows and highlights against his skin create a very beautiful landscape. I also enjoy the intimacy of the photo, him lying across my legs resting feels so calm and peaceful. I hope to produce more work like this. 

More research and pictures to come. 
I hope you enjoy. Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment