Thursday 12 January 2017

PORTRAIT SERIES RESEARCH


As a new term starts, so does a new portrait project and I cannot wait. This term we are expected to produce a series of portraits instead of just a singular photo. The theme is still identity and I am excited to explore a series and see what I can create. For my portrait research in the first term I found a book in the library titled Auto Focus and I loved it so much I asked for it for Christmas. I have had a particular interest in a series by Patrick Tsai and Madi Ju. Both well established photographers themselves, they met online and fell in love. Together they created a series called My Little Dead Dick which received a lot of interest from world wide photographers, galleries, public and artists. I particully adore this series as the photos are capturing their relationship in such a beautiful light. You feel the honesty through their relationship, as you see them so in love at the beginning and it begin to become more distant before they decide to go their separate ways. All the images are shot on film cameras instead of digital, but if I were to do a similar series I would like to use digital and try and achieve the same look. I adore the idea of capturing moments with your significant other, I like the idea of showing the happiness in someones face or life because of another person. I love seeing things couples get up to and how they click. It would be nice to produce a series on things that a couple do behind closed doors when they are alone together. Such as simple everyday things made fun because that person you love is with you. For example, food shopping or brushing your teeth together I find so intimate but so precious and can be a happy moment with your partner.

Here are some photos that inspired me from their collection:







After looking at these photos I have taken some inspiration and thought maybe I could do my series on a day in the life of my partner and I. We often get up to something when we see each other, or have a meal, or go on an adventure somewhere so why not document it? I could turn out with some good photos or I may not be happy with them. Either way I can learn from them. I would like to keep the photos candid, I don't like the idea of staging this series if I am going to pursue this idea.

I hope you enjoy. Thank you.





3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like Autofocus which I think is a genius book. However I am intrigued by your desire to make your photographs candid and natural. I am going to play devils advocate here, as Auto focus features so many works that are performed and manipulated - as an intellectual challenge what might you do differently as a staged or constructed series on the same idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the work you have chosen and your intention to exlpore a similar vibe yet I can't wait to see what you will add extra to their work to make it yours. Though what I am curious about is why you want to shoot digital rather than film? I understand the monetary aspect of it all but maybe you could in a final shoot scenario switch back to film, as I feel the original artist's work benefits from using analog over digital. Lastly I also think it may be interesting to explore how the camera becomes involved in the relationship, as obviously these photos are quite candid but still hold a sense that we are 'third wheeling' in a sense - though that might just be me. Regardless I think the subject matter will be intriguing to explore - Noice work brah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.igorpjorrt.com/betelgeuse

    Ok this guy literally follows the exact same concept but with a lot more skin on show, what I like about his series called 'Betelgeuse' is how he doesn't shy away from quite isolated moments. Both Igor and the photographers you have already come across both go through a similar narrative through their series, a relationship blossoming and falling apart, in Igor's case though the relationship reforms once more, so maybe you will be able to track his feelings thoughout the series more - especially through these isolated moments. I know I barked on about it twice now but I feel like it gives you a moment to connect with him as a romantic other, how his mind is interperting his feelings to static imagery, not just capturing a human physical form but the emotion too - in humans and in settings. I hope that all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete