Tuesday 14 March 2017

MULTI SCREEN MOVING IMAGE PORTRAITS (AFTER EFFECTS 3)


Today marked the third After Effects work shop and this was definitely my favourite. Today we learned how to rotoscope, use track matts, layers and explore the effects rack. We were asked to chose a cartoon of our choice and use the rotoscope tool in After Effects to select a character to track. You could then isolate them in their own layer and start manipulating. This was interesting as you could isolate a character and import a background and start effecting the background and character to create a new meaning. As our experimental film and twin screen project are fast approaching I decided to use this time to explore what I could do with glitching and creating pixels and heavy manipulation. Pictured below are some if the effects I used:




Here I used the Rotoscope tool to select my character and feathered the selection slightly so the edges weren't as harsh. I then used an effect called Turbulent Displace to distort the look of my character so they would appear warped on the screen. To do this you first have to create a duplicate layer so you can overlay the effect and still have the original rotoscoped piece playing. 

In this screenshot you can see I have used Tritones to change the colour of the Turbulent Displace and create a shadow on the original rotoscope of Finn. I manipulated the colours of the highlights, mid tones and shadows so it would create a intense, strange looking shadow. To enhance this piece further I added a Light Burst on the layer and it made my duplicate Finn layer turn into a light burst that follows him around the screen. 

Here is an image of all the effects I was describing in the previous two images. I hope I am making some sense. 

I have been thinking a lot about my twin screen piece and what I can achieve with after effects to make my twin screen look the way I want it to. Something I have been interested in is masking and tracking. I have seen a few short films of blurred out faces to achieve a feel of a digital reality where everyone's faces are just like pixelated emojis. So I aked my tutor how to create this look, and he showed me how to track someones face, and use the Mosaic tool to create pixels.


Here is a screenshot of what I was explaining in the last picture. You can see my Mosaic tool over his face and the square you use to select a place to track.

Here are the short pieces I created today in After Effects using the skills I learned today and applied them to these short films:


 
AFTER EFFECTS GLITCH MANIPULATION

 
ADVENTURE TIME LAYERED EFFECTS

 
AFTER EFFECTS GLITCH MANIPULATION II

I hope you enjoy. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment