Thursday 2 March 2017

EXPERIMENTAL SOUND FINISHED PIECE


For the experimental sound piece we were asked to create a soundtrack between 30 seconds to 1 minute inspired by a piece of artwork. Previously I explained I chose Francis Bacon's art piece and took inspiration from Eraserhead by David Lynch. I wanted to achieve an unsettling background piece with some unusual sounds breaking the white noise. I feel I achieved what I wanted it to sound like and I am quite happy with the end result.

I wrote up a list of sounds I wanted to record such as running water, squeaky doors, rice shaking and fingers clicking. After recording these I imported them all into Audition and decided to graphic equalize most of the sound clips with either 20 or 30 bands. Then attach convolution reverbs to most of sound clips. I used effects such as massive cavern to create an echo or backwards cavern to make it sound unnerving. I created a few tracks just as background noise to try and take my own approach on Eraserhead and then added in little snippets of other uncomfortable. I then had a few tracks to add in the uncomfortable sounds so they could fade in and out with the background noise. I feel with the steaks in the painting it inspired me to drag the sounds out to replicate the paint marks. Overall I am quite pleased with my end results as I feel it fulfilled my interpretation of what I thought the painting sounded like which was to create an uncomfortable ambient background.


Here is a screenshot of me exporting my sound piece at 24bit and 48khz and turned down the master track to -3 so it was at the right levels and formats to be submitted. I feel I picked the right painting for me as it gave me lots of sounds to explore and be adventurous with my sound manipulation.

Here is my finished experimental sound piece:


I hope you enjoy. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment