Thursday 9 March 2017

EXPERIMENTAL FILM IDEAS AND RESEARCH





After an initial tutorial with Anne after the pitches, we discussed absorbing everyday influences, from TV to pictures, to even the news and 'alternative facts'. We are in the process of learning how to glitch moving images, as we don't want to cheat and use an app. We would rather learn how to glitch moving images ourselves. I feel this won't be too difficult as we know the process of glitching still images so I imagine it is similar to this process.


I am so excited to get this film underway and get filming a colourful masterpiece, however I think our film needs a little bit of a structure. Danielle and I have been discussing the film, and Danielle has sourced some good research from websites and from the TV. We discussed that our film would just become an overload at the end. For the beginning of the film, we think it will look at old pieces of technology and maybe archive footage and start slightly glitching it, or changing the colours. Then as the film progresses more, then we enter footage we have shot of new technology and things or brands you associate with the digital world such as the Apple symbol. Coming towards the end of the film the glitching will get more frequent and brighter in colours and then we hope to get the film to appear as if it has switched off and loaded an error sign to show the meltdown of the internet and information overload. Danielle and I will take similar elements from our previously made short glitch film, such as the voice of god that was recorded from an online AI, which we both agreed was really effective. With a week to film we can get her to say things we want and cut and manipulate what she says to our advantage. I was thinking something else that could possibly look good and be effective in the message we are putting across is have 1 frame images or pieces of text, so that they're so fast it would be hard to see them, but the flashing images or text would set in the subconscious.


Image result for glitch images tumblr
Google Images

Image result for glitch images tumblr
Google Images

After doing a little research into glitch art and how other artists do it, I was intrigued by this artist who took his glitching to another level ' Databending ' This artist wanted to push his knowledge and skills on glitching and create meaning to the glitches which I think is quite beautiful. His process is quite intense, he takes apart digital cameras and attaches them to a circuit board to read and analyse how the camera takes the pictures, but he comes out with the most beautiful results. Here is a quote I feel is important about technology and the digital world that the artist said himself:

"I feel it's important not to allow technology as it's handed to me determine what I can say or how I say it." he says "it's the difference between letting the machine speak for you and you speaking through the machine"

I value this statement a lot and I feel it connects up nicely with the piece Danielle and I are producing, we are speaking through media and the machines we are using. We are almost manipulating the machines and changing their code to get them to say what we want. We shouldn't let the technology speak for us, we must have a voice within our technology too. 

More things to come 
I hope you enjoy. Thank you. 























No comments:

Post a Comment