Thursday 2 March 2017

MANIPULATED PORTRAITS


With this portrait series we had to manipulate the photos using Photoshop. So I thought about what I could do on Photoshop that would enhance my portraits. As I have used only natural lighting in my portraits I wanted to let in a bit of colour to maybe draw attention to a certain element of the photo. So I came up with the plan of selected points on my partner and I's body that came into contact with each other or something else. However, my skills on Photoshop are very limited as I have only used the software a handful of times, so had to do some research before so I could create the look I wanted without my skills stopping me.



I imported the photos into Photoshop and selected our hands and parts of our arms that were in shot and adjusted the hue so it was a lilac colour. I chose this colour because it is quite soft, subtle and not to overpowering in the photo. I decided to manipulate the photos in this way because I am trying to display the emotional and physical affection, I wanted to show the points of contact my partner and I feel the most when we are together. In this picture it happens to be with our hands, the feeling of running your fingers over someones skin is unexplainable and just wanted to highlight that in the photo. 


With this picture I decided to highlight my hands to enhance the senses. As sensory stimulus is so important to everyone and i feel it so intensely in my relationship. I decided to choose the same colour as to make sure that there is a continuation and link between the photos and what I have done to them. Sometimes feeling something through your fingertips can change the way you feel, such as hot and cold things or things that make you calm. 


I carried this process over to this photo too with the same colour. I am not as happy with this photo and my manipulation with it because I feel it distracts you from the image instead of enhancing it. 


With this photo came new challenges because our hands weren't in shot. But nevertheless I worked my way around it. I decided to highlight and change the colour of my knees as that was the point of contact visible between my partner and myself. I am not quite sure if I enjoy my manipulation in this image as I feel it takes all naturalistic qualities and intimacy away from it. 

I thought about possibly changing the highlighted pieces in the images to black and white instead, but I felt like that would bring a negative feeling to the picture. i felt that colour would make it appear more positive but I am unsure as to weather I chose the right colour. After exploring manipulating my images I have decided to submit, print and mount my portraits with only a little touching up on exposure and not with the change in hue and selection. This is because I feel the manipulation takes the naturalistic look and intimate feel away and focus on the colour which wasn't my aim. 

I hope you enjoy, Thank you. 







No comments:

Post a Comment