Saturday 5 November 2016

PORTRAIT REVIEW



After doing extensive research into photographers in which I admired their style; I decided to get a studio and try to shoot my own.

The photographers I chose to explore celebrated the female form, and motherhood through series of self portraits. I am a great believer in embracing who you are and recording your life in whatever way you chose. For my portrait, I decided to explore sexuality and how us as humans embrace and celebrate it. To pick my model I had to decide what kind of portrait I wanted to achieve, weather it be a stereotypical depiction of sexuality, or more subtle. In the end I chose Ciara, who I know and is open about her sexuality as a lesbian. As I am aware how open Ciara was about her identity, I really wanted to capture the rawness of her happiness, and try as best as I could to portray through my portrait how comfortable Ciara is within herself.

The shoot itself was exciting as getting to grips with the lights again after the workshop was great fun. Using the cameras, triggers, lights and light readers is all so hands on and exciting as it really prepares us for the future if we enter a studio environment. I gave Ciara some direction in what I wanted the portrait to come out as, but after that I just chatted with Ciara and whenever I thought i could capture a euphoric or happy moment in her face i clicked the shutter.
Just Laugh


Giggles

Here are two examples of some photos I took during the shoot. Even though these weren't the portrait I have chosen I still adore them very much. When composing my portrait I thought quite hard about lighting, expression and framing. I wanted the background to be just white, to show the purity of what I am trying to portray through my portrait. Most of the shots I took, Ciara was in the middle or a little to the left, I selected these positions because; using the rule of thirds I can subconsciously control where the audience is first drawn to. Being central in the frame instantly draws you in. However, move the model a slight to the right and you seem to have a different perspective on the peace. A sort of more 'candid' shot with the portrait not feeling as staged as it is.





Cheese


 Pictured above is my favourite portrait. I believe when I look at this piece I see a person who is very comfortable within their identity, showing pure joy and happiness across their face. The framing in this photo is exactly how I would like it, just a little off the centre becoming more natural than a sat down point and shoot portrait. The models facial expression and eye level really capture what I wanted, with looking slightly to the side almost reminiscing, or reacting to something funny without a care in the world.

I hope you enjoy. Thank you.






No comments:

Post a Comment