Friday 28 October 2016

LIGHTROOM



We had the privilege to be inducted into the software Lightroom. Lightroom is used for editing multiple photos at the same time, and also has quite a few advantages over other competitors in the software market such as Photoshop. As someone who hasn't ever edited photos I felt this would be a really beneficial workshop for my upcoming project of portraits or if I ever need to edit photos in the future I will feel competent in using the software.

Before the session, we were asked to bring in a few photos on our hard drives so we could have some to edit and see what the software could do. Our lecturer went through step by step how to import and view files and all the organising tools within the software. He then showed how you can manipulate colour and crop, zoom, highlight and shadow parts of photos. I found this fascinating as you could see such a dramatic improvement in the photo from before to after editing.

We were then allowed to have a go with our own photos, sadly I didn't have any raw photos on my hard drive at the time so I just used JPEGs. Another really useful thing about this workshop was the lecturer explained very clearly what the difference shooting as a JPEG file and as a RAW file. JPEGs are compressed files and so if you need to enlarge, the pixels will be compressed so become blurry when enlarging, however with RAW files they are bigger files than JPEG files but they scan each and every pixel so when you enlarge the photo you still have a very crystal clear photo. It is also easier to edit raw photos because you can zoom in to edit very small pixels and it still be clear and not blurry. Previously I was unsure of the differences and benefits, but was clarified in the lecture which I will now take on board with future shoots.

Light the Way

 Here is the photo I chose to export after editing, and it really shows how much a bit of manipulation can bring a photo to life more. I really enjoyed using all the tools available on Lightroom and being able to play around with the contrast, temperature, exposure and so many more things. I personally feel I benefited a lot from this workshop and feel competent editing photos and also enjoy it. I will certainly use this software in the future.
Light the Way

I hope you enjoy. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment