Saturday 13 January 2018

DANCE FILM RESEARCH AND INSPIRATION


With the beginning of a new term, there comes lots of exciting new projects for us to create. This term we are learning about dance film and then through research, produce one. Rosie set us a task after showing us some of the oldest forms of dance film, to go and find some of our own that were inspiring to us. So I did some research into dance films, as I have some dance background I had a small understanding on what a dance film is like and how the camera was part of the choreography too.

One film that came into my head was a dance called SHIFT choreographed by Ela Orlarte. This is a favourite of mine, as last year when it was released my old dance teacher sent me a link to it thinking that the movement was right up my street. I instantly fell in love with it. It is a piece with three women, who through movement document the struggles of friendship and how to support each other. One of the dancers is called Kameron Jonson, who is a beautiful dancer, who is seemingly separate from the other two (Tiffany Krause and Ellen Vierse) , moves in a way to try to connect with the other dancers. As the piece continues the other two dancers interact more with Jonson and show their bond with her. You see them handle her, and in a sense guide her as she slowly becomes a part of them too. As the piece comes to an end you see the two dancers freeze in position, signifying the end of the dance, yet Johnson carries on creating subtle movements with her body, perhaps displaying that she is still slightly separate from the two. This is one of my favourite pieces as I adore the movement and grace the dancers hold.


My next piece that I was inspired by, was a music video that George showed me in class, as I am interested in one take films. The music video is called Demons by Joji and shows a person dressed in a monster costume dancing in an empty swimming pool. Not once does the camera cut and I am interested in that style and how you can capture a whole dance without a cut. At the beginning he is chained to a pole in the middle of the pool by his ankle, and shows very little movement. Sometimes slightly raising his arm or leg, or getting out of his chair. But as the film progresses you see the dancer's movement open up more and and he starts to move more, with a heavy body, around the space. He moves in a very heavy manor and all his movements are very functional to being a person. However I really enjoy the camera work throughout the whole piece.



I hope you enjoy. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment