Thursday 12 October 2017

MAPS AND NETWORKS IDEAS AND RESEARCH


We have been given the task of producing a piece of work that has connotations and links to the title "maps and networks" As this is such a broad title, where you could link any work I struggled to come up with a solid idea. Having so much creative freedom with projects is such a blessing and a curse. My imagination went directly into analysing maps and networks and what they mean to me. Of course the first thing that connected with the title was physical maps, geographical drawings, social networks, networking events etc. However, as a perfectionist I didn't feel creative enough just simulating an idea stemming from what I had originally interpreted the title as. I set the idea aspect aside, and decided to do some research of my own into video artist and photographers that inspired me in one way or another.

Reflecting on previous lectures and presentations throughout first and second year a few artists stick out for me in which i adored their work. Firstly Jemima Stehli. Her series Performing for the Camera captured me instantly. I am forever fascinated in voyeurism, the male gaze, female oppression and this was the perfect series for me to look at. In this series she sits art curators down, tells them they can take the photo when they feel uncomfortable as she undresses. The whole series includes many different uncomfortable looking men holding the shutter as she is naked, getting undressed, or even with her clothes on. As much as I enjoyed this power play, in giving men the thing they want so bad and making them self aware and uncomfortable, I found flaws in this series. Instead of liberating women and their bodies being sexualised I feel she just reiterated the stigma. I enjoyed her thought behind her series, as to show men that on the screen that they watch explicit videos on, there are real people behind it. I found this theme intriguing and will hope to explore this more in my maps and networks work.

Performing for the Camera

Performing for the Camera


Another artist for me that comes to mind is Bill Viola. His use of the elements and his multi screen work really interests me. Doing multi screen work in first year made me realise how much more you can show and portray in more than one screen, I like the look of multi screens and syncing them together is something I find satisfying. As a class last year we had the pleasure of going to St Paul's cathedral to see Martyrs. This is a four screen piece that focuses on the elements and the human body. All screens work together and are in sync as the people are subject to the four elements. I felt this piece was very moving yet calm, as you watched how peaceful and also how damaging the natural elements can be. I like the idea of exploring how elements can exist alongside human beings and the impact they have on each other. I also enjoyed how calm the piece was despite what you were watching. I feel I can link Stehli and Viola to support my idea for maps and networks.

Martyrs 


This leads me onto my idea for maps and networks. I have decided to create a dual screen piece, with one screen me underwater trying to scream for help and explain my problems. This has a subliminal message of me not feeling like I have a voice in terms of being a woman, an a patient of the NHS and mental health. Showing that I don't have any say in my life and speaking up for myself. As for the second screen, I haven't decided quite yet. I have a few ideas such as the other screen being a series of everyday activities made sexual because it is with a naked woman's body. This could create interesting contrast as one screen I am crying out for help and no one can hear me, but on the other screen I have everyone's attention because I am naked.

I hope you enjoy. Thank you.







No comments:

Post a Comment