Sunday 5 November 2017

STUDIO SHOT ROLE: GAFFER


With studio shoot in the early stages of production, we were allowed to select our first and section choice on roles in a google doc. Previously in first year, I attended a two day lighting workshop run by Anne that was really inspiring, and made me realise how much of an effect lighting can have on, mood, tone, time of day, and period in history. So with the chance to pick roles I decided I would give it a go, get some experience to see if it was what I wanted to do. Luckily I got my first choice! So with my role confirmed I decided to do some research into my role, so I can know what is expected of me during the process.

I first decided to search what the role of the gaffer does, this was the result:

"A Gaffer in the motion picture industry and on a television crew is the head electrician, responsible for the execution (and sometimes the design) of the lighting plan for a production. The key grip is the head grip, in charge of the labour and non-electrical equipment used to support and modify the lighting"

This to me made my role clear and easy to understand, I would be in charge of the lighting plan, working closely with the D.O.P to discuss what they would want for each shot. I am excited for it. However, this wasn't enough research, I wanted to know more. So I searched for famous Gaffers, I came across a Gaffer called John Higgins, who was Gaffer for Children of Men, Skyfall and over 50 other films. There was an article where we was interviewed about his role, and he talks about working closely with D.O.P and the importance of being innovative when it comes to hurdles around lighting. He talks about trying to light Waterloo Station, and as they weren't allowed any trailing cables, they had to get shopping trolleys and fill them with special wireless lights that they could push into place! Also the word Gaffer used in the film industry has been around since the 1930's. I feel the role of a Gaffer might have to be imaginative in ways to get around boom shadows, or no trailing cables, and I feel I am up to the challenge.

I hope you enjoy. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment