Monday 13 February 2017

DIGITAL VS ANALOGUE


As my portrait collection is coming to a close with one more shoot left, I still have many unanswered questions in my head and creative avenues not explored. My initial portrait research was all shot on an analogue camera, and that was what attracted me to the collection in the first place, the texture of the photos was so rich, vibrancy and the saturation was just gorgeous. However, I am quite afraid to use analogue as the uncertainties and lack of control over the photos. I fear that the analogue film is so precious that I cannot simply just take photo after photo, that I have to be thoughtful and construct my image in order to get a good result. In a way this could be a beneficial thing for me, as I can so easily take hundreds of photos without even thinking about it and get only one good result. Yet, my fascination with analogue still plays in the background as I have been taking my portraits. I am very pleased with my results so far, but they lack the texture I want. Talking to some peers today I discussed I was wrapping up my project soon and ready to print, they reminded me of my initial research and showed me some other collections shot on film, and fell in love yet again. A friend of mine encouraged me to finish my last shoot digitally, but also take a little analogue disposable camera and play around with it, then get it developed and see the results. After thinking about this I feel this could be a good idea, even if I do not use the analogue photos in any of my final pictures, at least I would have tried something new.

I hope you enjoy. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment