Tuesday 9 May 2017

MULTI SCREEN PORTRAITS


RESEARCH
Initially in my research I explored an online digital artist, and all of her works are created around the theme of mental illness or struggling with the digital world. I enjoyed one of her photos as it was a drawing of two people with a yellow circle over their head and their tummy. After seeing this it sparked some ideas as to what i wanted my twin screen to look like. I pictured it ass two screens with one side having a cut out of the stomach and the other a cut out of the head. I felt this was relevant as I could play archived footage through the cut outs I would create, to express how I think and Feel. I then looked into other artists and came across Pipilotti Rist's work, she always produces very beautiful and work with such depth. I was inspired by her dynamic use of twin screens, as the screens are both very different, but when you look more closely you can see that the two correlate. I knew I wanted to create a piece that was inspired from the digital artist I researched, and Pipilotti Rist's work. So, I set about to do that.

PRODUCTION
I had an idea of what I wanted my film to look like, so I set about a day for filming where I would record my head in shot for one of the screens, and my tummy in shot for the other screen. After I was happy with these recordings, I then composed what would come in the background of the cut outs I was going to make in After Effects. For my background piece I used all archive footage from Online, and edited a piece together that I was happy with, and felt it expressed how I feel and think. I then imported my two live recordings of myself and then my background I created. I then went about in separate compositions creating a shape layer over my head and face. I then placed the background piece behind the shape layers to see how it looked. I wasn't happy with the way it looked so I drew round with the roto brush the outlines of my body and Alpha track matted them so they would be inverted. I was a lot more happy with this result as it gave a more abstract look to my work. I decided I would create a new solid as the background as I didn't just want black. I chose a light pink/purple as that is a calming colour for me and I felt the way I feel and think was being displayed on the screen I wanted to show a calm background to balance out and show I can manage how stressful it is for me. Below is my finished product.

I hope you enjoy. Thank you. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice I really like the abstract graphic quality of this work - it is very effective. One point which this post highlights is that the material inside your shapes has all come from online sources. Could you expand on this as to where it has been taken from and whether it is copyright free? There seems to be quite a free use of other peoples creative material amongst the class for this project. Could you clarify this for me? thanks. I will put in an email also.

    ReplyDelete