Monday 3 April 2017

DISPOSABLE CAMERA REVIEW


When doing my portrait series I came across some photographers that I was inspired by, and came to realise that they had used film photography instead of digital. I wrote a blog post explaining how I didn't feel comfortable shooting in film and much prefer digital as I can review the photo on the spot. However, I decided to challenge myself and bought a disposable camera and use it whenever I felt like instead of under pressure to make the experience more fun for myself. I just took the little camera around with me, and instead of reaching for my phone to capture a moment I used the film camera. Overall I feel ok with the photos, I'm not all that pleased with some of them as they are too under exposed or I have taken the photo too close to it just looked washed out. But, this is a learning process so I should be patient with my results. Below are some of my photos from one roll of film:



Suburbia

Lakeside

Demolition

Sunset

Slot machine

Greenery

Botanist boy

Gift shop

Harbour walk

Torquay 

Good morning

Pancakes

Danielle

Cluster

Shake shack

Like I said, overall I feel ok with the photos. I don't feel particularly sad or happy about them as they are a mixed bunch of photos. However, I have noticed what has worked in the ones that are well exposed and shot as suppose to the under exposed ones. 'Cluster' is probably one of the nicest photos as I remember having the sun behind me on a sunny day, with my friends just the right amount of distance from me. The film camera roughly estimates the ISO to be at 400, which I tried to factor in when taking my photos weather flash would be beneficial or not. I noticed that 'Sunset' and 'Demolition' came out quite well, the colours are still saturated and am surprised the camera picked them up from the sky. One of my favourites from the bunch is definitely 'Slot machine' another photography fear or mine is using neon lights in my work, even though I am so drawn to and mesmerised by them, but I love how this had turned out as I feel it has got the arcade lights just right. The photos that I felt didn't go well were 'Pancakes' and 'Shake shack' and I reckon (I'm no expert though) that it is because the items (food) I was taking photos of were too close to the camera and the flash, therefore just washed the image out completely, losing any colour from what I wanted to capture which is a shame but it happens. Overall though I think it was a good thing for me to experiment with in my own time as it took away the pressure for the photos to be perfect. I would try this process again in the future as I feel I have learned what works and why and what doesn't work and why which is the most important part of this experiment. 

I hope you enjoy. Thank you



No comments:

Post a Comment