Monday 11 December 2017

STUDIO SHOOT: PRE LIGHT


After all the building it was time for our pre light! I was a little nervous for today as I knew it was going to be super busy with dressing the set and sorting out my lights. I spoke with Anne about my lighting sketches, we then referred back to the picture and talked about the placement of my lights etc. Luckily Junaid is able to help me for pre light and the shooting days so we got to work creating the lighting we wanted. I firstly set up the lighting that would happen throughout most of the film. This took me an hour or so, as I was working with Junaid and Chris at this point so we were seeing what looked best and what I wanted.





We decided to have a light from behind the blinds to create a street light effect to show time of day was early evening. We used an orange gel on this too. We then set up the big light to create our fill for the set, this also had a very slight orange gel to it so it was more tungsten and had an orange glow. We included a light on top of the set with ND on the front to soften the light as this was acting as the light from the lamp on set.

 I was very happy with this set up so we moved on to the second set up which was a dramatic spotlight. This was quite straight forward as the director wanted it very theatrical, so we decided to turn all the other lights off and just have one rigged light on. We pulled the light down and adjusted the barn doors so there wasn't any spill over the back of the sofa or the coffee table which took a little once to get it perfect. But we got it and it looked really good, I was very pleased and it looked really theatrical and intense through the screen on the camera.




The next lighting set up was the red scene. The director wanted me to highlight the left corner in red where the character would get backed in to. I was unsure how to light the rest of the scene as it was meant to be surreal but I didn't want normal lighting to ruin the feeling. So Junaid, Chris and myself discussed different ways we could do this. We set the spotlight up first using a primary red gel and adjusted the barn doors so not much spill was on the rest of the walls. We were super happy with the spotlight and so was the director, so we moved on to the fill light for the set. We decided to use the fill that we had for our normal lighting set up and just put a scarlet red gel over the top of it, and had all the bars of light on to create enough light in the room for the camera to pick up. We felt it looked perfect, the director and I were happy so we settle for that lighting. Unfortunately I didn't manage to take many pictures of the red set up but I have a few.  



I hope you enjoy. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment